By Emily Malloy
It matters not whether one calls this sandwich "gourmet grilled cheese" or "grown-up grilled cheese," it is a treat to eat. Cheesy sandwiches are not just for littlest members in our families, but also something that can be cherished and adored by adults, as well.
The flavor combinations for gourmet grilled cheese are as numerous as the cheeses in the world.
The ease with which one can whip up grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches also means it's a great way to feed a crowd. I prefer cooking my grilled cheese in the oven. I can make ten or more sandwiches in one shot (unlike the more space limiting way of cooking sandwiches on the stove top).
Delicious and easy is always the way to go when entertaining or even a simple, quiet night at home!
Shallot, Fig, and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Yields: 8+ Sandwiches
Time: 15 minutes
10 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced thinly
1 cup of fig jam
4 shallots, sliced
1 Loaf of Sliced Brioche Bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoons of butter, softened
Honey, to drizzle
1. Preheat the oven to 450*.
2. Drizzle the olive oil into a small skillet over medium heat. Cook the shallots until soft and slightly browned, approximately 3-5 minutes. Set aside
3. As you are about to begin to assemble your sandwiches, place your baking sheet (without the sandwiches on it) into the oven to heat.
4. Butter one side of each slice of bread. With the buttered side down, spread a tablespoon or two of the fig jam onto the dry side of the bread. Top with some shallots, two slices of cheese. Drizzle with some honey and place another piece of buttered bread on top with the buttered side facing out. Repeat to make remaining sandwiches.
5. Carefully place sandwiches onto the hot baking sheet. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes per side, until nicely browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately!